ERIC is working in concert with other business groups and large employers to finalize various pieces of model legislative language for use in state advocacy efforts. Due to relatively short state legislative sessions, we intend to move forward with state outreach very rapidly and will continue to update the model language as needed.
ERIC will host a State Paid Leave Task Force Webinar on Monday, February 11 at 1 p.m. (ET) to discuss the model language and other issues related to our paid leave advocacy, including seeking input on policies being developed by the states. The webinar will directly address several areas of the model language, including:
1. Exemption for employers currently offering more generous leave benefits from the compliance and administrative requirements of state/local paid family and medical leave programs,
2. Preemption of local jurisdictions from adopting paid leave rules,
3. Follow the federal Family Medical Leave Act whenever possible,
4. Do not impose fees on employers, and
5. Limit damages to employers found not in compliance with state rules