<nobr>Mar 8, 2006</nobr>
House Conferees on the Pension Reform Bills Named; Motion to Instruct
The House of Representatives today appointed the following members as House conferees on the pension reform bills, H.R.2830 and S.1783:
From the Committee on Education and the Workforce:
From the Committee on Ways and Means:
- Howard McKeon (R-CA) -- The new chairman of the committee.
- John Boehner (R-OH) -- The former committee chair and new House Majority
- Sam Johnson (R-TX) -- Also serves on the Ways and Means Committee.
- John Kline (R-MN)
- Patrick Tiberi (R-OH)
- George Miller (D-CA)
- Donald Payne (D-NJ)
- Rob Andrews (D-NJ)
In addition, the House approved by a 265-158 vote a motion by George Miller (D-CA) to instruct the conferees. 68 Republicans voted for the Miller motion. The motion instructs the House conferees to:
- Bill Thomas (R-CA), Committee chairman
- Dave Camp (R-MI)
- Charles Rangel (D-NY)
Senate conferees were appointed last week.
- Recede to the Senate positions on airline relief and on not imposing an early retirement actuarial reduction on pilot pensions paid by the PBGC;
- Insist on the House provision that makes the Savers' credit permanent;
- Insist on the House provision that provides that tax refunds can be sent directly to an IRA; and
- "Insist on a conference report that imposes the smallest additional funding requirements (permitted within the scope of conference) on companies that sponsor pension plans if there is no reasonable likelihood the termination of the plan would impose additional liabilities to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation or there is no reasonable likelihood the plan sponsor would terminate the plan in bankruptcy."
Back to Previous Page